Tuesday, July 17, 2012

iPhone, iPhone, Go Away

I have thought about throwing my phone into the ocean.

Well, first I thought about throwing it off a tall building.  I'd really like to see it smash into many pieces and bits.  I'd smile at the spray of sparkly glass.  But I don't want to hurt anyone.  Or clean up the mess.  Let's be practical, here.

So, I'd like to throw my phone into the ocean.

Then I thought, well, maybe I should just throw it under a friend's couch and not tell them.  With my busy-ness, I can't get to my friends' houses often.  My phone would be stuck there.  I would, by default, be left without it for days or weeks just out of inconvenience of retrieving it.

But I would know.  It would call to me.  I would still be a prisoner of its possibilities.  And what would happen?  Eventually, eventually, I would fold. 

Good and maybe bad, the ocean is a more permanent solution... to what problem, I know I haven't said.  It's how the thing seems to complicate my life.  It's a feeling. 

Of course, the smarter thing to do would be to sell it.  But then I would be robbed of the satisfaction of the wind up, the chuck, the arc as it flew threw the static-y air... the sleek little thing would probably just slip into the ocean without making a splash.  And I would be free. 

That's worth a couple hundred bucks.

From Japan,
Tiffany

No comments: