Tuesday, April 10, 2012

OWN UP, MAN. Fear not.

Ever heard this?

"Oh, sorry, I didn't have a chance..."

Just say it like it is, man.  I forgot.  I didn't make time.  It was not high on my list of priorities.  I didn't do it not because "I didn't have a chance," but because it wasn't important to me.  The truth is SO much more satisfying.

It is not my habit to talk this way, to pass things off with bullshit, and I'm going to put my money where my mouth is, as they say, right now.  (This next info could change, of course, cause I'm human and I change my mind like everyone else, but) As of today, I am not going to take the GRE.

I could say a lot of stuff, like:

"Oh, you know, it's not really geared toward my desired field."

"I'm not good at standardized tests."

"I'm just not sure what I want to do right now so I'm gonna wait and see."

No, I'm not going to make excuses.  You know why I'm not going to take the GRE?  Because I DON'T WANT TO.

But, I think I am going to take the LSAT...  again.  I get excited about the idea of taking the LSAT.  No math!!  And as much as I think about grad school and the various things I could go for, it just feels like grasping at shit I don't really care about because there happens to be a school for it.  I COULD get really crazy and go to NYU Gallatin with a major in Tap Dancing.  But those crazy days are kinda over for me, one, because I've put myself through enough by now, and two, because I really want to be near my family in Florida, an awesome place to be.  In previous years I would never have settled for a life in Florida because it was what I had always known.  Now I desire a life there because it is beautiful and there is so much to do and honestly, I've been out in the world doing crazy stuff for a while now, and the comfort of that is very desirable. 

There are several Law Schools in Florida that I would be happy going to, but if I could get into UF, I would thoroughly enjoy getting reacquainted with the #1 place to live according to the 2007 edition of Cities Ranked and Rated, and one of National Geographic Adventures #1 places to live and play.  Starbucks Coffee shops abound.  I wanna sit in that van at Satchel's and eat awesome pizza.  I want to pop in to Leonardo's for a vegan chocolate chip cookie.  I haven't seen a football game in too long.  It's time to stand up with 90, 000 of my closest friends and scream at the top of my lungs at a bunch of guys in spandex.   And every once in a while, I'd like to have a drink in a dirty bar, of which there are probably a hundred.

I do hope I can get in to law school, somewhere.  I'll go to Nova if I have to.  Hey, it's on the beach.

But whatever I do... I'm not scared.  I have taken that whole "do something that scares you everyday" thing to an extreme, sometimes.  What's great is that usually when you do something that is scary, the biggest thing you learn is that it isn't actually scary.  I'm open.  I'm willing.  Even in the midst of a fall I'm ready to jump.  Even as my stomach feels in my throat from downward momentum, I'll take the leap.  And when it comes down to it, I'm not scared.  All that's out there is room to learn and grow.  I'm not missing out on that.  Not for fear.  Not for anything.

From Japan,
Tiffany 

1 comment:

Friend said...

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but have you really thought about this decision and weighed the pros and cons? Have you looked at a cost analysis compared to what you (may) be making when you get out? (In a realistic world, mind you.)

According to some research, the cost of law school at UF is about $45K (at Nova it's more like $90K). This is, relatively speaking, a bargain for law school! However, you will have to spend those three years working your tail off (including classes, trying to get into Law Review, etc) and networking like crazy in order to be able to win a position with a coveted law firm. This is assuming that you desire to actually practice law. If not, there isn't much you can do with a law degree and there's not much reason to actually get one.

I have about 5-6 friends who went to law school and, of all of them, only 1 of them is content with their occupation and that's only because he works for the government in D.C. and has pretty sweet "government" benefits and time off. The rest of them all have contemplated leaving law industry (or have already done it).

Additionally, law degree does not equal employment! Over the last few years, more and more law school graduates have found it difficult to find jobs anywhere, even as a law clerk at a state attorney's office. The field is oversaturated.

What this all comes down to is, do you want to risk spending close to $50K - if you get into UF - (or more, with living expenses, food, or if you go somewhere else that's even more expensive, like Nova - a private institution) if the rewards aren't beneficial for you. Going to grad school doesn't automatically mean PAYCHECK! And while I certainly feel that education is always a good thing, I think this is an instance where you really need to carefully look at the situation and what you would get out of it. When you get out of law school, you still have a lot of work ahead of you simply finding a job and, for several years after law school, you will be paying your dues to try and climb that ladder. The salary of an entry level prosecutor at the office of the State's Attorney is about $58K (I'm sure it's higher at a private firm, but getting into those is extremely difficult). It's not such a rosy, sweet situation as many think it will be.

Above anything, T, I just want you to think long and hard about this idea and the debt you will incur. Think about Knoxy and how it will be for him if you're away from him a lot during those years because you're buried with studying and papers to write and, of course, think of yourself and how that would feel. Would you be able to focus completely on your studies if you're torn by the prospect of spending time with him? Just make sure that you have looked at all of the aspects of this situation before committing to it. Maybe talk to some people who have gone to law school and are in the field now to see what they think - impartial individuals who will give you an honest perspective of their experiences.