Monday, April 30, 2012

Knox This Week

Hmmmmm... what- am I going- to write- today...?

I guess I'll just let you know what's been going on... on some fronts.  Several fronts are secret: Wahahaha! 

So, I was supposed to take Knox to see the monkeys yesterday, and he was really excited, but it was raining, so we couldn't go.  But, he was just as excited when I said we could go outside and play in the mud, and we did play in the mud on both Sunday and Monday.  We did tons of stuff in the past few days, and we hung out with friends.  We have been delightfully busy eating at restaurants with friends, going on walks, cooking meals, checking out the new Kaldi Coffee Company (a foreign foods store) at Wasada town (where I let loose with the pocket book), and going absolutely ape-nuts in the kids play area (Knox, not me, as I had a friend to talk to, but I have been known...).  We've been to the onsen and gone shopping and watched all three Toy Story movies... not to mention rousing good bath times and tickle fests.  I can't believe I have a 3-year old little boy!

It is Golden Week in Japan, when we have three national holidays in one week, and many of my friends are all over the eastern world right now, but I've had a wonderful few days right here at home with my precious boy, and when I decided not to go on an expensive trip, I bought a TV, which I am enjoying.  I've gotten to spend time with some friends that also stayed in town, and I hope to take a little trip on Thursday and Friday to visit another, and I have a girls night planned for Friday... and I thankfully didn't have to get on an airplane to do any of it.  Airplanes are just death traps that get lucky most of the time, in my terribly uneducated and anxious opinion.  LOL.

Knox is great.  I get e-mails from BabyCenter.com that keep up with Knox's age, and today's talked about colors and how he should know them by mid year, which sounded crazy to me since he has known his colors like forever.  One day in the car we were talking about dinosaurs and he busted out with, "Carcharodontasaurus," which is in one of his books on his favorite dinosaur, the T-Rex.  He got an awesome T-Rex at his birthday party, which I thought was huge, until he got another one from my mom that is twice the size.  He loves 'em.  And pirates.  I'm a little concerned cause he always likes the bad guys and wants to pretend to be the bad guys, but I'm sure I have no reason to worry.  He also pets my face and says, "Mommy, you're soooo cute."  I could die happy when he does stuff like that.  Yesterday, he put his little hand on my cheek and said, with a very engaged, enquiring look, "Mommy, are you going to take a bath with me?"  Like a friend of mine said on Facebook, being a parent is tough, but I wouldn't not be a parent for the world.

Bedtime.  Mostly, I like going to bed with Knox.  I love that it makes him feel happy and secure, and I love that he likes to hold hands as he falls asleep.  But, most of the time I can not and should not be going to bed at 8pm, and sometimes I have friends over who I don't want to leave on the couch for 45 minutes while I get Knox to bed.  Even when I stay just until he is asleep, reading in the dim light and then laying in the dark for 10 or 15 minutes really kills my energy and motivation.  I usually have some necessary tasks to take care of from 8pm to 10pm, when I try to be in bed myself.  So, even though I want to stay with him, I have started to go out once I have read to him and turned the light out.  It's probably best for both of us.

In case you don't know, I'll be working in Japan until July 31st, 2013, and then very likely returning to Florida.  The details are as yet uncertain.  My Mom is visiting Japan in July, a good number of the friends that arrived in Japan with me are returning to their home countries at the end of July and early August, I will visit the US in December/January, and then there will be 7-ish months until I'm back in the United States to live.  It will go slowly day by day, but I'm sure the next 1-year and 3-months will fly. 

That's all for now.

From Japan,
Tiffany    




No comments: