Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Comin' Out of the Funk

Ok, people, I'm lifting out of the funk.  I have been in a funk for approximately 5 days... that's funny... it feels like I have been in a funk for longer than that.  That's because I find my vocational situation to be ridiculous, and I am borderline grumpy about it all the time.  But that's not a funk.

Anyway, I think what helped me, cliche as it sounds, was exercise.  I have been exercising religiously since last May (before which I had a very spotty 9 or 10 months from the August that I got to Japan).  I've been doing the Spartacus workout, but I've been bored with it for some time, and not only that, I've plateaued and I really have needed to change things up for a while.  Finally, last night I looked up the Spartacus 2 and glanced at some P90x stuff.  I did the Spartacus 2 and the P90x ab ripper video.  The video I did was only about 15 minutes long, so I'm not sure if that was the whole thing.  Also, I hate to say this cause I don't want to give the wrong impression, but it seemed too easy to live up to the stories I've heard about P90x.  Not that it was easy FOR ME.  But I got through it alright, which I was surprised about.  I always have to alter ab exercises a little because I have such an arched back, and I definitely took some breathers, but the first time through a new routine is always shoddy, and I just was surprised.  It wasn't what I expected, but I liked it.  Maybe it seemed easy because it took me time during each exercise to find a version that was ok for my back.  Yeah, that's it.

Spartacus 2 seems a bit more leg heavy than Spartacus 1, and the cardio exercises are placed differently throughout the routine.  When I was finished last night I felt really refreshed, and my legs are sore today, so that's a good sign that I have shaken things up.  I want to try several P90x routines and see what combo will make a good routine for me.  I can't work out every day, and I can't work out for an hour and a half, which I think is what P90x is all about, but I'm sure I can integrate some things to make an interesting and varied routine.  I wish I could dance, too, but I just haven't found any classes in Japan that fit my tastes and needs.  I feel like the funk has seriously ebbed since my work out last night.  The squat jumps punched that funk in the face.

In other news, I am going to sign to stay in Japan for one more year.  I feel positive that this will be my last year.  I've got grad school on the mind, and family.  I think it's important to get back to my family, especially for Knox's sake.  I can't go another year without going home.  My plan is to have my mom come out to Japan in July/August for a visit, and I will go home over Christmas for a visit.  I want to go home during the summer, but my nenkyuu (paid time off) isn't going to stretch that far, I think, and the Christmas holidays make vacationing at that time optimal.  I Like it here.  I kinda love Japan.  But my job?  No.  It is not for loving.  But, as I have said before, I will continue to sit here, and I will do it so that I can enjoy the benefits of Japan for one more year, and at the end of that time, really be ready to go.

Everything outside of work is great.  I wish I could pick up my apartment and scootch it on over to America.  I love it's character.  I love that the only door in the whole apartment that swings is the door to the toilet.  I LOVE how inexpensive it is.  I have a room for everything I need, and lots of storage space.  I have a routine and places I like to go, and people I like to be with.  I could go for some central heat.  I could go for a TV and a computer that isn't so temperamental... but things are so good.  My eikaiwa (conversation circle) is wonderful; the people are sweet and it's a real treat to get to spend time with them every week.  Knox is great, and I think we are both settling into our new routines together and enjoying each other more.  My bath tub is bad ass.  My water pressure rocks.  Yeah.

Now, I sent in like 60 pages of fiction to a company for writers that does critiques.  I've had a lot of issues with this place; DZanc Books.  First, they took my money and never said another word.  I wrote them, and they said it was an honest mistake and that my account got closed accidentally the day they took my payment.  They gave me a refund and still took my pages.  I paid extra to send in extra pages.  It was supposed to take 2 weeks to receive my critique.  That was about 7 weeks ago.  I've had many exchanges with the dude from the company.  About 2 weeks ago he offered to give me a full refund again, and to get my critique back to me... I refused the refund, considering I had already been refunded most of the cost anyway, and said just give me my critique!  I haven't heard from him since I refused the refund, about 2 weeks ago.  I have written him, but he didn't get back to me.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.  Time shall tell, I suppose, and I hope I do get my critique at some point.

From Japan,
Tiffany



  

No comments: