Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Little About Knox

Knox was eating his cereal this morning and -he always does this- he picked out a raisin (sometimes it's a piece of mango, or a cranberry) and showed it to me and said, "Mommy, what is this?"  I said, "You know what it is baby, it's a raisin."  He ate it and then said, "No, Mommy, I don't think so, I think it's a candy."

This morning Knox got a big boy chair at the breakfast table.  When we arrived in Japan, he was only 1 year and 4 months old.  Now he is 2 years, 5 months old, and he doesn't want to sit in his really cool suspension chair anymore.  So, now the extra dining chair is in his spot.  He is getting so big.

He often will go to get something and then turn around and look at me and say, "No?"  It's funny, cause the things I would say "no" to are never the things he asks about.  I always say, "Yes, bubby, that's ok."

Every morning I ride in the back seat with him to school.  He's in the "why" stage.  He says, "Mommy, where we going?"  I say, "I'm going to work and you are going to school, just like we do every day."  And he says, "Why?"  He says "why" to every answer I give, and I try to keep answering him until I can't anymore.  Sometimes I end up saying things like, "Well, we can't know why because no one has ever been to the edges of the Universe." 

After school, I either wait for Knox to wake up from his nap, and then ride somewhere with him, or I walk downtown to enjoy a relaxed drink at Starbucks, go to the bookstore, or go window shopping.  I don't usually have the time or inclination for actual shopping right after school. 

Almost every night we eat dinner around 6pm, then take a bath around 7 or 7:30pm.  Knox used to go to bed strictly at 8pm, but since he turned two I decided to ease up on myself with the schedule, and I'm happy if he gets into bed between 8 and 9.  We read two books in low light, then I put him into bed and sing him a song.  Lately, his favorite bedtime song is "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid.  When I say, "You want thingie ma bobs?" he says, "Yes."  Sometime during the routine he usually asks for water, and sometimes for a snack.  Although we have been through different phases, right now he doesn't seem to be doing it just to stay up, so I get him a snack, he eats it, and then I turn the light off and go out. 

Recently, he has been waking up, scared of monsters or dragons.  He woke up three nights in the past week.  One night he was up for an hour, and was completely freaking out, but usually he goes back to sleep after 5 or so minutes. 

Sometimes when he gets up for the day, or gets up from a nap, I think I can tell that he grew while he was sleeping.  Yesterday, when he woke up from his nap it seemed like he had gained significantly in the speech department.  Peter told me that Knox woke up and said, "Daddy, I'm sad because Mommy is not here."  Then, as they were walking down the stairs to come meet me downtown he said, "I'm not sad anymore."  He has also started to correctly use time related words like already, not yet, and almost. 

Sometimes when he laughs, Knox covers his mouth with his tiny little hand and says, "Oh, my."  It is precious and hilarious.  That's something he learned at school.  He also does his phonics a lot:  "Allie Alligator, Ah, Ah!"  "Fancy Fish, Ffff, Ffff!"  He really likes school, especially because they go swimming and to the park a lot.

Five, ten, fifteen years from now, I'll be so happy to have this account of things I would otherwise have no recollection of.

From Japan,
Tiffany







2 comments:

Nichole said...

Very cute, and I hope he hasn't not been keeping you up too many *more* nights. <3

sayaka said...

I love this post, Tiff. Knox is a big boy now and is so smart:D