Monday, April 18, 2011

A Reading List for Pregnancy, Birth, and the First Years

I'll be updating this list.  I just wanted to get it started.

Pregnancy and Birth:
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
by Ina May Gaskin

What to Expect When You're Expecting
by Heidi Murkoff

Hypnobirthing
by Marie Mongan


Breastfeeding:
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
by La Leche League International

The Newborn Days:
The Baby Book
by Dr. Sears
Caring for Your Baby and Young Child
by The American Academy of Pediatrics

Vaccinations:
The Vaccine Book
by Dr. Sears

Circumcision:
I don't have 1 or 2 good sources for this yet.  My advice is to do a lot of research before making this big decision.  Unless you circumcise your child for religious reasons, I think it's time to stop doing it just because it has been done for so long.



1 comment:

Megan said...

Great reads. I need to read some of those myself just for future reference. If I may add one for the dads, I'd recommend:
Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads.
It was hilarious but genuinely informative. I read it as much as I read anything else and gave me just the comic relief I needed at moments of stress.