Monday, April 18, 2011

Endoscopy and Health Update

Unless you really love me, you probably don't want to read this account of my health tests and results.  It's up to you.

All of this has been in pursuit of the cause of the pain down my right leg that started about 3 weeks after I arrived in Japan.  I have also had stomach pain since about December.

In January I had an allergy test, a sonogram on my abdomen, and a couple of blood tests.  It turns out that I am allergic to shrimp, mold, dust, and some insects.  I am slightly anemic.  I have a polyp in my gall bladder, but I do not have gall stones, which I was told I had in the US.  In the US, they insisted that I needed to have surgery to remove my gallbladder.  I'm glad I declined; I would prefer to keep my organ until there is at least a consensus.

Recently I had an endoscopy and they told me I have a hyperplastic polyp in my duodenum.  Supposedly, both polyps (those in my gall bladder and duodenum) are harmless and have no potential to develop into anything serious, but they said I should get rechecked in a year just in case.  At the time of my endoscopy, they had me try some stomach meds for a few days to see if it would help with the pain.  A couple of difficult days ensued because I couldn't nurse Knox on the meds, but it did help and I have only had a couple of times with a little pain since then.  The stomach issues are just about resolved, I'd say.

Last week I had x-rays on my pelvis area and they didn't find anything that would be causing my pain.  I might have to go for an MRI, which isn't pleasant because I'm tired of taking my days off to have medical tests.

The pain down my right leg is improving.  It doesn't hurt on the weekend when I am not sitting so much.  I'm wondering if all I've needed all this time is a new chair.

From Japan,
Tiffany

3 comments:

Gaijinesse said...

If the pain gets better when you're not sitting, it sounds like you might have a lower back problem, even if the pain isn't in your back.

Unfortunately, if you do, in my experience there isn't much to be done except exercise and working on your posture.

Rachel said...

I'm sorry you're in pain, Tiffany. Keep us posted. We miss you here in Tampa. Kiss that baby for me!

Megan said...

Hmm... very interesting. It's good to find out what's going on, even if it doesn't always lead you somewhere right away.
Glad you followed your intuition (I was about to say gut!) about the gall bladder. I know that is a big deal. You were smart to wait now that you know more.
What does your acupuncturist say about all this?
I've been so impressed/informed by what mine has to say about a lot of my "issues," and how so many things stem from the gut. It sounds like you've made some great changes. Hope things keep going on the up & up!