Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Letter To Takayama- Re: Disasters

I gave this letter to my supervisor right after the earthquake and tsunami.  I made it simple for him, although he's excellent at English.  I have learned to do that to prevent misunderstandings.  I can't believe I ever had to write a letter like this:

Takayama Sensei,

I am sorry that Japan has experienced so much hardship in the past week.  I consider Japan my country and I care about Japan, even though I have only been here a short time.

The earthquake and resulting tsunami are scary.  Some JET participants are missing and the number of dead and missing Japanese people is overwhelming.  I feel sad.  The JET participants in Oita have begun to raise money and collect clothing and food for the people who are without those things.  About $1500 was raised last weekend. 

The nuclear emergency continues.  It makes me nervous.  Most important, I know that children are most affected by radioactive particles in the air and in food.  I have a child in Japan and I am reading all the news I can find on the situation.  I am trying to be patient, and smart, and brave.  I am trying, but it gets worse everyday.

I have to let you know that it is a possibility that I will take my family to the United States. 

I do not want to leave, and if we decide that we have to leave, I hope that we only leave temporarily.  If we do leave, I want it to be very clear that I want to come back as soon as the nuclear situation is stable.  I hope that the Board of Education and Oita West high school will have me back, if this happens.

I like it here.  I like Japan.  I want to be here.  But, I have to do what is best for my family, and especially my baby.

We have not made any decisions.  I do not want to surprise you, so I wanted to write to you now.  Please, please talk to me and tell me what you think.  I welcome any guidance in this uncertain time.

Thank you,

 
Tiffany Breuer 

From Japan,
Tiffany

 

No comments: