Monday, November 29, 2010

Today

Ugh.  Uuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhh.  I am sick.  Again.  Fukuoka was fine.  I'm glad I went because I really like most of my JET comrades, and it was an opportunity to get to see them and know them better.  I wasn't the best company thanks to my sickness and lack of energy, but I'm sure they will forgive me.  Fukuoka seemed to me like a bigger Oita.  Granted, I didn't get to experience all that much of it, but it looked and felt very similar.  The city had a bunch more stores than we have in Oita, but I'm not planning many trips to Prada or LV, and a Banana Republic with no petites and no sale rack is no Banana Republic for me.

Snugglefest in Fukuoka
Lisa, Claire, Tiffany, Melissa, Tomek


We have been making plans for a trip to the Hokkaido Yuki Matsuri (Snow Festival) since September, I think.  Flights, hotels, group rates, baby rates, transportation, tours, lessons, etc.  I prefer to do things in a more spur-of-the-moment fashion, but I'm happy to align myself with more organized peeps who help us go on cool trips like this and ensure that we get good rates and have activity options.  We might get snowboarding lessons and will most likely attend a nomi/tabehodai (all you can drink/eat) at the Sapporo beer factory.  Rock on.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the week.  Tomorrow, I took the morning off, and I took Thursday and Friday off as well.  The students have 4 exam days, so I won't be missing any classes.  I hope that by coming in late tomorrow I will feel a little better.  I get a chest cold every single time I get a head cold.  A few days in the head followed by a few days in the chest.  I don't know how to prevent it.

Peter starts tennis lessons on Thursday, and I will be able to spend time with Knox since I don't work.  Things are very busy.  On Friday, I have an end of year school party at the Oita Hotel, and possibly a Japanese lesson after, on Saturday we are having a wine and cheese party with my conversation group, and in the next three weeks we have a JET end of year party, Christmas caroling, an orphanage visit, the 12 Konbinis of Christmas, a date with a sitter so we can go to see Harry Potter, a possible tap dance workshop, tickets to a dance show, and tiks to my school's brass band concert.  We are VERY busy.  Sleep, will thy ne'er come to me?  Why dost thou elude me?

What else?  ... Time lapse...  I had a coughing fit and I have been in the nurse's office being pampered for about an hour.  They were amazed that we don't have kerosine heaters everywhere in the US like they do here.  They weren't allowed oil until tomorrow, but they used my coughing as an excuse, so now they are all toasty and chatting in the nurse's room.  Now I have to wash my mug and go home!!

From Japan,
Tiff 


       

3 comments:

KaiKinapela said...

Busy busy! Glad you are taking some time off tho. Relax and enjoy!

breuha said...

That Banana Republic is Bananas!

Megan said...

Wow, your December sounds incredibly busy. How long of a "break" do you guys get from teaching??
Hope you feel better soon, Tiff. If you were in Brandon, I'd bring you some homemade chicken or vegetable broth (sure to make you feel better)!
Much love!